Posts, Categories and Posts Formats
This section will show you some basics of working with WordPress. Content in WordPress is stored as posts and categories. Let's see how to work with posts and categories.
Creating a Blog Post
To add a blog post you need to do the following:
- Open the Posts tab.
- Click Add New.
- Add content to the post.
You can check detailed information about adding posts at http://codex.wordpress.org/Posts_Add_New_SubPanel
Adding a Category
To add a category you need to do the following:
- Open the Posts tab.
- Click Categories to see all categories.
- Enter new category name.
- Click Add New Category.
- Click Publish.
You can check detailed information about adding categories at http://codex.wordpress.org/Manage_Categories_SubPanel
Post formats are used to customize available post options and markup. You can choose a post format on the post editing screen.
You can check detailed information on post formats at http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats .
Check the list of available posts formats with description and settings below.
Standard Post Format
Standard post format has the following fields:
- Post title - post title
- Post content - post content
- Categories - post category(ies)
- Tags - post tags
- Featured Image - post featured image
- Other fields that can be enabled in Screen Options in the top right corner.
Aside is a simplified standard post format. In other words there is only a content field, so you don't need to enter title and other options.
Audio format is used to publish audio content.
You can edit the following fields in the media gallery file settings:
- URL - audio file direct URL
- Title - audio track name
- Artist - audio track performer
- Album - audio track album
- Description - audio track description
Chat format is a post with content in the form of successive messages.
- Ann: Hello Mike!
- Mike: Hello Ann!
- Ann: How are you Mike?
- Mike: Not bad Ann.
The main feature of this post format is the possibility to add an unlimited number of images.
Adding a gallery:
Click Add Media.
Drag files or click Select Files to add images from local computer.
After images are uploaded, you can find them in Media Library. Click Uploaded to this post to view the images.
After editing you can close the media library. Uploaded images will be added automatically.
Gallery post format has the same fields that the standard post format has (e.g. title, content, category, etc).
Image format is a format that includes one image uploaded through the Featured Image option.
Having selected this format, you can turn off the lightbox by uncheking the Enable Lightbox option.
Link post format can be created in the visual editor by adding a URL in standard post format. Post title will be used as the URL text.
Moreover, you can add a description of the target page and link any part of the text.
Quote post is used to publish statements.
Status post is a message with content limited to 140 symbols. It is displayed with the author avatar.
Video post is used to publish video content.
There are two ways to add video into the post:
- Embedded Code - used to add video from external sources like Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
- Add video through media library.
You can edit the following fields in settings:
- M4V - direct link to video in m4v format with possibility to delete
- Add alternative source for maximum HTML5 playback - alternative source of various video formats (mp4, ogv, webm)
- Poster image - set an image for video poster
- Preload - set video preloader (auto, metadata, none)
- Autoplay - set video to autoplay
- Loop - loop video